As a result of participating in American Academy's school counseling program throughout elementary and middle school, students will gain the following skills to meet the challenges and high expectations of the 21st century.
- Orientation/transition to the educational environment.
- Resolution of problems which interfere with learning.
- Awareness of academic abilities, strengths, needs and interests.
- Knowledge of effective study/test-taking skills.
- Awareness of curricular alternatives and career goals.
- Pursuit of a planned and balanced academic program consistent with abilities, interests, and educational needs.
- Awareness of post-secondary academic opportunities.
- Development of increased self-understanding.
- Establishment of positive relationships through effective communication skills.
- Acquisition of problem-solving/decision-making and coping skills.
- Encouragement of self-directed and responsible behavior.
- Understanding of the need for positive attitudes toward school, learning, community and society.
- Awareness of, and knowledge about, the world of work and careers.
- Acquisition of information about educational and vocational/training opportunities within and beyond school.
- Use of knowledge of self as it relates to career planning.
- Establishment of tentative career objectives.
- Preparation for future education and employment.